Forum HL2 MOD -In The Making-
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did you always wanted to make your own video game with a TEAM? Now you can join our team at www.hl2mod.darkbb.com -We Want You! To Join WWW.HL2MOD.DARKBB.COM - (You must be 18 years old or older)

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Rick
T3h L3ad0r
Rick

Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware Empty
PostSubject: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 2:41 pm

Here is a few Successful Mod Team Tips to make our Mod. Please read all of it.

What is a mod team?
In the simplest sense, a mod team is one or more developers who create a mod. But a better way to look at it is that a mod team is a collection of skills that come together to create a mod. Coding, mapping, modeling, and of course ideas and vision. Though one person rarely creates a MOD on his or her own, it can and is done. Why doesn’t it happen that often? Simply put, making a mod is a lot of work that takes a variety of skills. Usually a team of developers contributes their skills towards the final project.

What makes a mod team?
Required: What are the basic roles that must be filled to make a mod?

Communication and work flow
Required: How to keep everyone talking and working together smoothly so everyone is on the same track.
(Before the Day of Defeat mod "went official" with Valve, the team of 8 people involved worked exclusively with instant messaging and IRC for communications. In fact the team developed like this for over a year before finally meeting face to face).

Success, collaboration and teamwork
Good mods don’t usually happen by accident or from the work of mediocre and uninspired people. Before we get into what goes wrong with mods and mod teams, let’s talk about what goes right. What’s worked and what’s been successful.

Teamwork > talent
It’s hard to make a good mod without talent. But it’s about impossible without teamwork.
You're far better off working with people who can work as part of a team than people who have skills, but horrible teamwork skills.

Passion, commitment, creativity and drive
Your team must be passionately committed to the cause of creating your mod. They must be passionate about what they do and the mod they are creating. Passion doesn't mean fanaticism, but it does mean being there when the mod and the team needs the help. It also can mean a strong sense of curiosity and a desire to explore new things.

You might ask why commitment and passion are hallmarks of a successful team. Mainly because modding is a job that has long hours, probably no monetary reward, and few perks – and you’re not getting paid a thing. In fact you probably have to use your own money to buy software tools, upgrade your computer, and so on. So something has to drive you to keep going.
(When the group creating Day of Defeat was still an amateur mod team in its early stages, who was on it was a bit amorphous and ill-defined. But it soon began to gel into a true team as the development got more intense. If it was midnight and the call went out to test something new, it was the same dedicated handful of people who were there every time.)

Problems, team personality, ego and other challenges
The hard and sad fact about mods and mod teams is that most mods fail. They never get beyond the idea stage, or the pre-alpha. There are a number of common themes to what has caused the demise of a lot of mods over the years.

Ego
Besides apathy and loss of interest, ego and team quarrels are some other things that can destroy mod teams. Some great ideas have vanished because the team members didn't work well together.

The good and bad of personality
Team members will have personalities for better or worse - sometimes for worse. Hidden agendas, bullies, those that either can't give respect, drama queens and non-contributors are a few examples.

You do the work, I'm the leader/idea person
This kind of plea for help on a mod is laughable, but actually common. Someone with no actual technical talent in mod development has a "great" idea, and just needs to get basically the entire team to come help. Oh, and they will be the leader and the "idea person".
Back to top Go down
https://hl2mod.darkbb.com
David
BG Member
David

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 5:16 pm

LOL Idea person... but seriously that's what I just said in another section of the forum. We need instant messaging.
Back to top Go down
Rick
T3h L3ad0r
Rick

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:31 pm

I know I just saw it on Valve website. Its just to let the members of BG to know what a mod is all about.
Back to top Go down
David
BG Member
David

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:34 pm

So we're agreed that Xfire and Steam shall be our primary brainstorming outputs?
Back to top Go down
Rick
T3h L3ad0r
Rick

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:36 pm

We could be I'm trying to see if I could get a TeamSpeak server running or something that looks like Ventrilo.
Back to top Go down
David
BG Member
David

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:38 pm

How about irc?
Back to top Go down
Rick
T3h L3ad0r
Rick

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:40 pm

Whats irc. I don't think it would be compatible with the Mod, because Valve suggest to use VS2003, VS2005 & VS2008.
Back to top Go down
David
BG Member
David

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:44 pm

No, irc is a chat service, which many mod teams and clans use. But teamspeak works just as well. Except I don't have a mic. But I'm sure it has a visual chat thing too.
Back to top Go down
Rick
T3h L3ad0r
Rick

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Could you make a irc server or something along that if you can't just send me the link and I'll check it out.
Back to top Go down
David
BG Member
David

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 9:47 pm

http://www.mirc.com/mirc.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware   Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Successful Mod Team Tips From Developer ValveSoftware
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Forum HL2 MOD -In The Making- :: General Discussion-
Jump to: